Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO END HUNGER In Minnesota, summer means trips to the lake, long bike rides, and fresh produce. But many Minnesota families can’t afford weekly trips to the farmer’s market for fruits and vegetables. CAER Food Shelf helps provide nutritious fruits and vegetables to these families and needs your help this summer. Donations in July will be matched by more »The post CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO END HUNGER appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER CLOSED FOR JULY 4TH HOLIDAY CAER WILL BE OPEN ON THURSDAY, JULY 3RD FROM 6-8 PM. CAER will be closed on Friday, July 4th in observance of the holiday! We will re-open on Monday, July 7th at 10:00 am. Have a safe and wonderful holiday!The post CAER CLOSED FOR JULY 4TH HOLIDAY appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- KIDZ KITZ AVAILABLE NOW! KIDZ KITZ, a summer supplemental food package that targets families in our service area whose children receive free or reduced lunches during the school year, began distribution on Monday, June 9th. Register at CAER, M-W-F from 10am – 2 pm, or Mon & Thurs. evenings from 6 – 7 pm.The post KIDZ KITZ AVAILABLE NOW! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- MAY 2014 ISSUE OF CAER CONNECTIONS AVAILABLE NOW! The May issue of CAER Connections is now available. Check out the photos from our Volunteer Appreciation Luncheon, mark your calendars for CAER’s upcoming events, read about our best ever March Minnesota FoodShare Drive and discover how CAER hopes to expand its Summer Kidz Kitz Program. Newsletter May 2014The post MAY 2014 ISSUE OF CAER CONNECTIONS AVAILABLE NOW! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- 7th Annual CAER Classic Golf Tournament We are excited to announce our upcoming CAER Classic Golf Tournament. Get all the details & register HERE! The post 7th Annual CAER Classic Golf Tournament appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!