Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- 2013 GIFTS ANONYMOUS PROGRAM IS HERE! Christmas and the holidays are right around the corner. Would you like to make a child’s Christmas or holiday season shine? You can! Gifts Anonymous, a volunteer run program to help families make this holiday season special for their children, is now accepting new toys for distribution to families on December 21st and 22nd. So go more »The post 2013 GIFTS ANONYMOUS PROGRAM IS HERE! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- GIVE TO THE MAX DAY IS HERE!! Sherburne and Wright Counties are two of the hungriest counties in Minnesota. Want to help? Click on CAER Food Shelf and donate. Want to help more? Help CAER meet its $1,000 Matching Challenge Grant. If CAER can raise $1,000 we can earn another $1,000! Please help CAER feed the hungry more »The post GIVE TO THE MAX DAY IS HERE!! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- NOVEMBER “CAER CONNECTIONS” IS HERE! CAER has two exciting fundraisers in the coming week! You can read all about them in this issue of CAER Connections! You can also learn how to participate in Give to the Max Day which encourages charitable giving online at GiveMN.org. Please remember to give to CAER on November 14th! November 13The post NOVEMBER “CAER CONNECTIONS” IS HERE! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- DINE OUT FOR CAER! OCT. 21 THRU NOV. 4 Nine restaurants in Elk River, Otsego and Zimmerman, MN want you to eat out during October! Pick one or all nine of these great restaurants…enjoy a terrific night out and raise money to help feed the hungry in our communities at the same time. Just mention you’re eating for CAER. You’ll need to present a more »The post DINE OUT FOR CAER! OCT. 21 THRU NOV. 4 appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- IT’S NOT TOO SOON FOR STUFFING! CAER is already planning for its holiday dinner distribution and we need stovetop dressing! Chunky soups and boxed pasta side dishes would also be welcome. Drop off your food donations M-W-F 10 am – 3 pm; or Mon. and Thurs. evenings from 6-8 pm. THANKS FOR SUPPORTING CAER!The post IT’S NOT TOO SOON FOR STUFFING! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!