Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Winter Wear
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- CAER CLOSED FOR THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY CAER will be closed on Thursday, November 27 and Friday, November 28 to celebrate the Thanksgiving Holiday! We will re-open on Monday, December 1, 2014 at 10:00 AM. The staff and volunteers of CAER wish you a Happy Thanksgiving and thank you for your support throughout the year. The post CAER CLOSED FOR THANKSGIVING HOLIDAY appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER RAISES $12,000 ON “GIVE TO THE MAX DAY” Thank you to the entire community for their support of CAER on Give to the Max Day! With your help, we were able to raise more than $12,000 — $2,000 ahead of our $10,000 goal for the day! Wow! We also took possession of our new Ford Transit Connect Van at Cornerstone Auto Group in more »The post CAER RAISES $12,000 ON “GIVE TO THE MAX DAY” appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- “GIVE TO THE MAX DAY” IS THIS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH! Please be generous when you give to CAER on “Give to the Max Day”. Last year, CAER distributed 790,000 pounds of food to nearly 1,500 families. That need continues to grow. Your gift on Thursday can do so much more this year, when it will be matched 100% up to $4,075! If you give to more »The post “GIVE TO THE MAX DAY” IS THIS THURSDAY, NOVEMBER 13TH! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER’s September Newsletter Now Available CAER’s September Newsletter is available! Check out how community-wide support helped CAER win a Ford Transit Connect Van! It’s a great story and a clear illustration of how working together, we can do great things for our community! September 2014The post CAER’s September Newsletter Now Available appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT COMING TO ELK RIVER PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT will be held at the Elk River YMCA (13337 Business Center Dr., NW Elk River, MN 55330) on Thursday, October 23, 2014 from 10 am – 2 pm. Homelessness and the risk of becoming homeless is a struggle that many people in our communities face daily. PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT offers people the more »The post PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT COMING TO ELK RIVER appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!