Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Winter Wear
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- CAER’s September Newsletter is available! Check out how community-wide support helped CAER win a Ford Transit Connect Van! It’s a great story and a clear illustration of how working together, we can do great things for our community! September 2014The post appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT COMING TO ELK RIVER PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT will be held at the Elk River YMCA (13337 Business Center Dr., NW Elk River, MN 55330) on Thursday, October 23, 2014 from 10 am – 2 pm. Homelessness and the risk of becoming homeless is a struggle that many people in our communities face daily. PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT offers people the more »The post PROJECT HOMELESS CONNECT COMING TO ELK RIVER appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER WINS FORD VAN IN NATIONAL VIDEO CONTEST! Thanks to more than 4,800 supporters, CAER Food Shelf won a 2014 Ford Transit Connect Van in a national video contest sponsored by Ford’s Drive 4 UR Community program. Four videos from four deserving non-profit’s made the finals. The winner would be determined by the video that received the most votes. CAER’s countless supporters spread the word via more »The post CAER WINS FORD VAN IN NATIONAL VIDEO CONTEST! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- “WINTER WEAR” CLOTHING PROGRAM BEGINS Announcing “Winter Wear,” CAER’s new clothing program. Beginning October 1, 2014, you can help keep your neighbors warm by donating gently used WINTER COATS, MITTENS, GLOVES, SCARVES, SNOWPANTS, HATS & BOOTS! CAER’s drop-off hours are M-W-F: 10 am – 3 pm; Mon. & Thurs. evenings 6 – 8 pm. Keep somebody warm this winter! Please more »The post “WINTER WEAR” CLOTHING PROGRAM BEGINS appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER CLOSED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND CAER will be closed for Labor Day, September 1, 2014. We will re-open on Wednesday, September 3 at 10:00 AM. Be safe and enjoy this last weekend of summer!!The post CAER CLOSED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!