Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Winter Wear
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- “WINTER WEAR” CLOTHING PROGRAM BEGINS Announcing “Winter Wear,” CAER’s new clothing program. Beginning October 1, 2014, you can help keep your neighbors warm by donating gently used WINTER COATS, MITTENS, GLOVES, SCARVES, SNOWPANTS, HATS & BOOTS! CAER’s drop-off hours are M-W-F: 10 am – 3 pm; Mon. & Thurs. evenings 6 – 8 pm. Keep somebody warm this winter! Please more »The post “WINTER WEAR” CLOTHING PROGRAM BEGINS appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CAER CLOSED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND CAER will be closed for Labor Day, September 1, 2014. We will re-open on Wednesday, September 3 at 10:00 AM. Be safe and enjoy this last weekend of summer!!The post CAER CLOSED FOR LABOR DAY WEEKEND appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- ONE CLICK FOR CAER; A $100 VISA GIFT CARD FOR YOU! CAER is one of four National Finalists in a video contest to win a BRAND NEW TRANSIT CONNECT VAN!!!!! All we need is the most votes! Please follow this link to vote and help us win. Also, please share the link with everyone you know! (BTW – CAER’s is the last video. The one with the bus!) www.drive4urcommunity.com/contest PS more »The post ONE CLICK FOR CAER; A $100 VISA GIFT CARD FOR YOU! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CHECK OUT CAER’S MOST RECENT NEWSLETTER! The July issue of CAER Connections is available! Download it right here Newsletter July 2014 . For the first time CAER has a Kidz Kitz pick-up site in Zimmerman; there are pics from the 7th Annual CAER Classic Golf Tournament, volunteer news and lots more!The post CHECK OUT CAER’S MOST RECENT NEWSLETTER! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO END HUNGER In Minnesota, summer means trips to the lake, long bike rides, and fresh produce. But many Minnesota families can’t afford weekly trips to the farmer’s market for fruits and vegetables. CAER Food Shelf helps provide nutritious fruits and vegetables to these families and needs your help this summer. Donations in July will be matched by more »The post CHALLENGE YOURSELF TO END HUNGER appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!