Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- CAN YOU HELP? This week CAER needs paper products, especially paper towels and Kleenex. Other immediate needs include cooking oil, deodorant, conditioner and shaving cream. Add a couple of these products to your weekly shopping list and you’ll be helping your neighbors more than you know! Thanks for your continued support of CAER!The post CAN YOU HELP? appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- HYGIENE ITEMS NEEDED NOW! CAER really needs hygiene items this week. Please bring in shampoo, conditioner, deodorant and shaving cream! Next time you visit the personal care aisle of your favorite grocery store, think of CAER won’t you?? Thank you for all that you do to support CAER.The post HYGIENE ITEMS NEEDED NOW! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! If you’ve ever wanted to volunteer with CAER, now’s your chance! We are looking for volunteers who can help during the “Stamp Out Hunger” food drive on Saturday, May 11th. Last year, our local Letter Carriers delivered nearly 7,500 lbs. of food to CAER! If you can help, please call Tracy at 763-441-1020! We could also more »The post VOLUNTEERS NEEDED! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- CEREAL, CEREAL, CEREAL… This week CAER needs cold cereal! Bring a couple boxes of your children’s favorite cereal to CAER! Add one or two of your own favorites, too. For some of us, there’s nothing better than a bowl of Lucky Charms, cold milk and our favorite cartoons! Thank you for supporting CAER!The post CEREAL, CEREAL, CEREAL… appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- HELP LETTER CARRIERS “STAMP OUT HUNGER” On Saturday, May 11th, you can help “Stamp Out Hunger” by participating in the National Associations of Letter Carrier’s annual food drive. It’s so simple! Just leave your non-perishable food or grocery items by your mailbox. Your letter carrier will do the rest of the work for you. Last year, our local letter carriers delivered more »The post HELP LETTER CARRIERS “STAMP OUT HUNGER” appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!