Hunger knows no boundaries, has no age limits and it never takes a vacation! City or suburb, one in ten Minnesota families will go hungry tonight. More than 30 years ago, members of an Elk River ministerial association saw the need and established COMMUNITY AID ELK RIVER, often referred to simply as CAER or CAER Food Shelf, to assist people in the community who might need help with food and other basic necessities. Today, local churches, schools, youth groups, civic organizations, businesses and individuals are still joining hands in that effort.
CAER provides food and referrals or limited financial support for basic necessities to the residents of Elk River, Otsego and most of Zimmerman. Although not eligible for food, residents of Big Lake, Becker and Princeton can come to CAER for clothing and limited financial assistance.
Currently, CAER offers the following programs:
• Monthly Food Assistance, including holiday meals
• Emergency Financial Assistance for shelter and utilities
• Children’s Programs: KIDZ KITZ (a supplemental summer food package), School Supplies (August), and Gifts Anonymous— a holiday toy collection and distribution program
• CAR CAER, assistance with minor car repairs or tires
To receive assistance from CAER, you must live within our service area and provide proof of residence—a postmarked item with name and address, dated within the past 30 days. Emergency financial assistance requires all applicants to first seek help through Sherburne or Wright County Health and Human Services.
Recent News & Upcoming Events
- MCCOY’S PUB 5K FUN RUN/WALK FOR CAER! Celebrate St. Patrick’s Day early and get off on the right foot! Join us for a fun run on a great course starting in historic downtown Elk River. The fun begins at 8 AM on March 15th at McCoy’s Pub. So put on your best St. Patty’s Day gear and have a great time. Registration more »The post MCCOY’S PUB 5K FUN RUN/WALK FOR CAER! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- DINE OUT FOR CAER TONIGHT AT PIZZA RANCH! The post DINE OUT FOR CAER TONIGHT AT PIZZA RANCH! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- MARCH IS MINNESOTA FOODSHARE MONTH! March is Minnesota Food Share Month. It’s the largest donation matching event of the year for CAER! The entire month is dedicated to raising funds for our food shelf so we can fill the empty cupboards of our neighbors and friends. And the more we raise, the more we receive. Our goal is $125,000. more »The post MARCH IS MINNESOTA FOODSHARE MONTH! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- DINE OUT FOR CAER! THREE MONDAYS IN MARCH The post DINE OUT FOR CAER! THREE MONDAYS IN MARCH appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
- MARCH 2014 CAER CONNECTIONS – READ ME NOW! March 2014 This issue of CAER Connections is dedicated to Minnesota FoodShare Month. There are a number of upcoming events that you might enjoy – all while helping CAER to reach its goal of $125,000. Like history? Did you know that CAER was once located in the sheriff’s jail? This issue has the pictures to more »The post MARCH 2014 CAER CONNECTIONS – READ ME NOW! appeared first on Caer Food Shelf.
Get ALL the latest news & even more info about upcoming events on CAER’s blog!